Another football filled weekend in the EFL came and went. Yet again, it did not disappoint.

There were power shifts in both the battles for promotion and against relegation.

From incredible turnarounds to hectic climaxes, here are the top 5 games of the EFL weekend.

Millwall 2-3 Sheffield United

Saturday’s game at the Den saw two sides who have had very contrasting starts to the season go head-to-head.

It was the high-flying Blades who came out on top with a David McGoldrick-inspired comeback.

Chris Wilder’s men initially took the lead through captain Billy Sharp five minutes before the interval, when he headed in just moments after seeing Ben Amos save his penalty.

But, the Lions came roaring back at the start of the second half. Two goals in three minutes from Jake Cooper and Lee Gregory saw the game unexpectedly turn on its head.

However, United love a late showing and summer signing McGoldrick produced the goods.

The striker levelled from the spot after Shaun Williams conceded a second penalty, before scoring in the final few minutes for the second match running to steal all three points for the away side.

The result takes the Blades to within a point of the top of the table and leaves Neil Harris’ side stuck in the relegation zone.

Preston North End 2-3 West Bromwich Albion

Much like the game above, this tie at Deepdale saw a struggling, out-of-sorts team welcome a free-scoring title challenger.

Once again, it was the away side who left the happier.

This was a game that saw two very different halves, in terms of action, as Darren Moore’s men scored the opener three minutes into the second half through in-form Jay Rodriguez.

Andrew Hughes had briefly drawn Preston level, before defender Ben Davies diverted a cross into his own net to put West Brom back in front.

On-loan Dwight Gayle then put the game beyond doubt with two minutes left on the clock.

This meant that the home side slipped to their seventh league defeat in just ten games, even with Alan Browne’s consolation deep into injury time.

Meanwhile, the Baggies’ fourth win in five saw them climb to the top of the Championship as both Leeds and Middlesbrough dropped points.

Plymouth Argyle 2-3 Doncaster Rovers

Last season saw Plymouth start poorly, meaning they had to play catch up with the rest of the league, and this season is no different.

Argyle are now winless in ten EFL games and rooted to the foot of League One the following defeat at home to Doncaster.

Striker John Marquis celebrated his 100th EFL appearance for Rovers by giving them an 18th-minute lead, before Ruben Lameiras’ brilliant effort levelled the scores.

Argyle’s hopes of holding on for just their fourth point of the season were dealt a blow when Matty Blair put the away side back in front, mid way through the second half. Marquis then grabbed his second on the 90-minute mark.

Derek Adams’ men did grab a late goal through Graham Carey, but it was too little, too late as they once again came away with nothing. Whilst Doncaster moved up to third in the table.

Shrewsbury Town 2-2 Gillingham

The theme of sides with contrasting fortunes isn’t followed in this match at New Meadow.

Both Shrewsbury and Gillingham have endured rough starts to the EFL season, picking up just three wins between them.

And that statistic remains after this exciting stalemate.

Brandon Hanlon had given his Gillingham side, who hadn’t won since mid-August, the lead going into the break. However, the Shrews, whose solitary win only came in their last home game, came fighting back.

Striker Lee Angol equalised on the hour mark.

Ollie Norburn then looked to have completed the comeback for the home side with just two minutes left. But you should always play to the final whistle, and the Gills did just that as substitute Tom Eaves scored in the last minute of normal time to grab a share of the spoils.

The result leaves Shrewsbury just outside the drop zone, with their opponents below them only on goal difference.

Newport County 4-2 Cambridge United

Michael Flynn’s Newport County team appear to have a habit of being involved in crazy games, so much so that they entered this game against a faltering Cambridge side with negative goal difference, despite sitting third in the table.

The home side found themselves two goals behind within the first quarter of the game after a brace from Reggie Lambe. However, what initially threatened to be another hammering on home soil, turned into an incredible comeback.

It began with Mickey Demetriou’s penalty in first half stoppage time, before Padraig Amond brought the Exiles level soon after the interval.

A quickfire double from Jamille Matt mid way through the half then completed the comeback, lifting County up to second in League Two, whilst Cambridge’s winless run stretched to four games, which saw them drop to 20th.